5 Most Secure VPNs to Use – Be Safe with a Secure VPN
As cybersecurity continues to take center stage in the technology industry, there is a need for everyone to strengthen their personal protection. For example, there have been cases where the government has tried to understand what people do online every day.
While government officials often claim that this is an essential measure to ensure people’s safety, human rights activists argue that it is an invasion of people’s right to privacy. Keep in mind that every Internet user has a right to privacy. If you share this view, it is your responsibility to protect your online activities by using a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN).
This network helps keep your communications private by creating a secure channel for easy access to the Internet. Thanks to certain innovative technologies, VPN providers keep your data encrypted, change the IP address assigned to you by your provider and assign you a new one. In this way, you can access the information highway anonymously.
In doing so, you are doing yourself a great service. We will discuss all of this later. However, to protect yourself and your Internet-connected device, you need an effective VPN.
Why Do You Need a Secured VPN?
So far, the focus has been on how you can use a rock-solid VPN to prevent your government from monitoring what you do online. Guess what, you have even bigger things to worry about.
- Negative influence: The Internet has become home to all sorts of malicious people. From child predators to hackers, from terrorist groups to fraudsters, the list goes on and on. The fact is that the victims of some of these bad people rarely know what is happening to them until they have fallen prey to these manipulations. Guess what, these guys don’t wait for you to come to them, they often seduce you with promises too good to be true, which makes these propositions hard to resist.
- Torrenting: For a long time, the torrent continued to worry content developers. The main reason for this is that most torrents download and share copyrighted material without the consent of its rightful owners. Further, production companies are contacting relevant government agencies and Internet service providers to arrest and prosecute copyright infringers. For example, if your IP address is seen on the site of certain torrents, you could be subject to prosecution in many countries.
- Maintaining online anonymity: Before accessing the internet, your internet provider gives you an IP address. The IP address is a unique number that can be used to determine your device and location. If a hacker or the government knows your IP address, it is easy to find you in your apartment. For example, if the government believes someone has committed Internet fraud, it will use the IP address to trace the person back to their Internet service provider. But this is not the case when you use a secure VPN.
- Bypassing geo-restrictions: If you live in certain countries, you may notice that the content of a site you visit in your country is very different from the sites in your home country. For example, you may notice that the content of the French Netflix site is different from that of the United States. This is simply because the video streaming company is required to not show certain movies in certain countries. Other than that, it always takes into account the relevance of the content to its audience. This means that if the French company Netflix continues to show African films on its French site, it will lose subscribers. However, a VPN makes it possible to bypass georeferencing.
A VPN provider therefore solves all these problems by hiding your original IP address and assigning you another one. With the new one, it becomes difficult to know your true identity and location. In terms of negative influence, the provider is able to block unwanted advertisements, sites and malware, just as it does with these capabilities. Now you know why you need a good VPN.
Now let’s move on to the question of why you need a good secure VPN when you are online. Of course, the best secured VPN would have been an easy task for you if there weren’t a lot of VPNs on the market. Strangely enough, they all claim to be the most secure.
To help you deal with this, we’ve done extensive research into the industry’s leading services. In addition to this research, we’ve conducted extensive testing on them. We have compiled our findings. However, we encourage you to read on to find out why these VPNs are on the list.
5 Most Secure VPNs – Comparison Table
Top 5 Best Secure VPN
5. IPVanish – Affordable Secure VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Here is IPVanish, a US-based VPN provider renowned for the quality of service it provides to its users. IPVanish guarantees that your data is not exposed to prying eyes by using 256-bit AES encryption. In addition, encryption technology is the industry standard for VPNs and is referred to as military-grade encryption. It does, however, have an automatic Internet kill switch, which ensures that your data is not lost in the event of a network interruption.
In order to protect any operating system, it runs on, IPVanish has been developed to support a wide range of VPN protocols. This VPN also features zero log protection. This means that the company does not hold your records. All these features are built into the VPN to give you rock-solid security and privacy when you are online. Without mince words, you’ll be able to enjoy all these benefits and more every time you connect to the Internet via this network.
Supported Client Software:
- It offers unlimited bandwidth and split tunneling
- And it doesn’t keep your logs
- Unlimited logins at the same time
- 1500 servers in over 75 locations
- Internet kill switch and DNS leaks protection
- You can connect unlimited devices at the same time
- It has most of the security features of premium VPNs
- Its helpdesk swiftly responds to live chats
- It has an excellent speed
- It doesn’t give a free trial
- You may experience some hitches with its Windows client
In addition to all the security features, there are other perks that come with this secure VPN. For example, its customer service operates 24 hours a day. This means that you can contact the team as soon as you have connection difficulties. They will get back to you as soon as possible. With 1500 speed-optimized servers hosted in over 75 locations, it’s easy to bypass geo-blocked streaming sites and stay connected to your favorite channels.
Yes, you can stream Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Fire TV and more. Plus, it allows you to connect unlimited devices at the same time, which is a great opportunity to share with friends and family. Do you like the torrent? If so, then you can do it with this. So, with all these features, IPVanish remains one of the most sought-after VPN for security.
Read our detailed review of IPVanish.
4. Private Internet Access – Budget Secured VPN
Money-back guarantee: 7-day
Another VPN that deserves a spot on this list of top VPN for security is Private Internet Access (PIA). Of course, this VPN deserves a good place in this list because it offers you fantastic advantages. With more than 3335 super fast servers in 37 locations, you can be sure that it will give you peace of mind by assigning you another IP address. This will allow you to bypass the geoblocked sites of your choice, such as US Netflix and Hulu. If you wish to connect to a public Wi-Fi network, the PIA will certainly protect your connection as it has an encrypted Wi-Fi feature.
In addition, you’ll be relaxed while sharing a P2P file as this VPN supports it. Also it is compatible with many VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP/IPsec. To keep your traffic encrypted, PIA has standard AES-256-bit encryption. In other words, your traffic remains impossible to decrypt every time you connect to the Internet through it. As the icing on the cake, it connects to the fastest server once you launch the application from your device. Here are some other key features.
Supported Client Software:
- 3335+ super-fast servers in 37 server locations
- Has an AES 256-bit encryption technology and zero-logs policy
- Has 24/7 customer service
- Allows up to 10 multiple logins
- It has support for torrenting
- This service blocks malware, ads, malware and trackers
- Diverse distribution of servers is good for effective site unblocking
- It has 256-bit encryption for high-level privacy
- PIA is affordable
- It allows up to 10 multiple logins at the same time
- The Android app is not user-friendly
- It doesn’t unblock US Netflix
If you look at why this VPN has taken a place on this list, you should keep in mind that it has a no-connection policy that is strictly enforced. It can also block malicious websites, advertisements, trackers and viruses. With all this, you can be sure that you are free to visit the website of your choice. PIA has protection against DNS leaks. You already know that all DNS requests will be hidden from your ISP because the VPN will process the requests.
Maybe you encounter technical problems, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. In that case, just contact their customer service immediately. Of course, you can do this via email or live chat. The team works 24 hours a day and will answer your message in a split second. Like many subscribers, you will find this service easy to set up and use. Finally, you’ll also appreciate the fact that, despite all the great features built into this VPN, it remains affordable. You should give it a try.
Read our detailed review of Private Internet Access.
3. CyberGhost – User-Friendly Secured VPN
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
CyberGhost is a Romania-based VPN provider that prides itself on having some of the best security and privacy features, which has earned it a place on the list of top VPNs for security. In addition to having a large server that allows you to quickly bypass geoblocked sites, CyberGhost ensures that these sites do not block your IP address. For starters, it has the standard AES-256 encryption technology that allows your traffic to remain encrypted as it travels between your device and the VPN server.
It also has an excellent logging policy, which reassures users that their security remains paramount to the VPN company. As for other technical features, its data channel uses AES-256-CBC encryption while the control channel uses AES-256 encryption. All these measures are put in place to ensure that no one compromises your privacy.
Supported Client Software:
- CyberGhost has 5,700+ ultra-fast servers in 112 locations
- There are Internet kill switch and no-logs policy
- DNS leak protection
- It employs an AES-256 bit encryption
- The geographically diverse servers can speedily and securely unlock any geo-restricted sites of your choice
- It blocks malicious ads, sites and malware – yet another measure that protects user
- This is a user-friendly app
- There is a customer service desk that gives immediate responses to complaints
- The monthly plan is pricey
For your security, it has an ad and malware blocker. This simply means that no matter which site you visit, your safety is guaranteed. You also have the Perfect Forward Secret in CyberGhost, so that your session keys are not reused when private keys have been compromised. Yes, this is possible with ECDH-4096. If you think that a problem has occurred on the network, you can contact customer service.
Of course, they will not only respond to your messages as quickly as possible but they will also answer user messages in four different languages. We strongly advise you to contact them via their live chat for a quick response. In addition, CyberGhost has a Wi-Fi protection feature, which protects you when using your smart devices at public Wi-Fi hotspots. This allows you to browse, stream and surf anonymously, without fear of being followed.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
2. NordVPN – Great Secured VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
If you need the best secure VPN, this application is a major asset! Of course, NordVPN has all the security features you need and more. First of all, it has Double VPN technology, which encrypts your data twice as much as it flows between your device and the VPN server. Support for all VPN protocols simply shows this Panamanian company’s commitment to your security, even though it runs on many different operating systems.
Thanks to an extensive network of servers, you can stream data to US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Hulu, etc. You will also appreciate the fact that this VPN provider has a zero-logging policy. Yes, this is a plus because the authorities cannot access your personal information. In addition, its standard AES-256 encryption offers unbreakable encryption – of course, you don’t have to worry. There are even more good things.
Supported Client Software:
- It has more than 5,100 servers in 60 locations
- Has support for OpenVPN, IKEv2, PPTP, etc.
- No-logs policy
- There is an IPv6/DNS leak protection
- NordVPN has good privacy mechanism that enables users to securely bypass geo-restricted sites
- The overall security features are rock-solid
- Its no-logs policy reassures the user that the company doesn’t keep your sensitive personal information
- There is a 24/7 helpdesk that supports its users
- Its monthly subscription is pricey
- Its user interface isn’t awkward
Guess what, there are many other great features of this premium service that allow you to protect yourself online. To take it one step further, NordVPN has Onion over VPN, which means that Internet traffic passes through the provider’s server as well as through the Onion network before arriving on your device. With 5,100 high-speed servers in 60 locations around the world, you can bypass Internet filters remotely and securely. In fact, it’s comforting that you anonymously unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Firestick, etc. without these georeferenced sites blocking your IP address.
This VPN has become the first provider to give the green light to a third-party auditing firm to audit its services. And it got the result. If you feel your security has been compromised, you can contact their helpdesk via email or live chat. The team responds immediately to messages. There is no doubt that all these features show that NordVPN is highly secure.
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
1. ExpressVPN – Fast and Secured VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
It makes perfect sense that you don’t want your online privacy compromised. If that’s the case, you should choose ExpressVPN because it offers excellent security features. You see, this company in the British Virgin Islands has taken the bold step of deploying standard AES-256 encryption technology. With this military-grade encryption, your traffic remains encrypted as it travels between you and the VPN server. In addition, ExpressVPN has a zero-logging policy, which means it does not keep track of your online activities.
This means that if law enforcement officials require the VPN company to provide them with your log details, they have absolutely nothing to share with them. Also the VPN is always protected against DNS leaks. You may not know what this means; it means that all DNS requests will be hidden from your ISP, as the VPN will process the requests. These are some of the features that make many people consider ExpressVPN as the best secured VPN.
Supported Client Software:
- ExpressVPN has 3000 ultra-fast servers scattered in more than 160 locations
- It supports IKEv2, PPTP and OpenVPN
- Maximum security powered by a AES-256 encryption
- DNS/IPV6 leak protection
- DNS leak protection ensures that your DNS requests are not shown to your ISP
- Its customer service is always ready to help you
- Its encryption technology is unbreakable
- ExpressVPN doesn’t keep your logs
- It is pricey
- There are not enough advanced configurations for techies
To enhance online security, ExpressVPN has an Internet kill switch. This prevents you from losing your data in the event of a network interruption. The safety net automatically disconnects your data. With Perfect Forward Secrecy, you are one step ahead of your prey. In other words, it guarantees that your session keys will no longer be used once the private keys have been compromised. But that’s not all.
With this service featuring a 4096-bit RSA encrypted handshake, you can be sure that your device and the VPN will have a perfectly secure communication without any interference from third parties. In addition, this VPN has a 512-hash message authentication code (HMAC), which is a cryptographic exchange of messages that no one can decode except the parties involved. Indeed, ExpressVPN is the best secure VPN for your device.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
Are Free VPNs Secure?
The answer to the question will lead us to a detailed explanation. Thus, the explanation is given below using 3 service categories.
- Premium trial versions: For the first category of services, these are value-added services that offer potential buyers trial periods. During the trial period, you are expected to explore and enjoy all the benefits of the service, including military-level security. The general idea is to have you purchase the product at the end of the trial period. Like others, you will use the VPN for free at this point, taking advantage of all the services it offers. Unfortunately, most of the time, the vast majority of users do not subscribe. As a result, some VPN companies have suspended this strategy. So, yes, these VPNs are very secure during the trial period.
- Freemium services: this category, a subscriber is entitled to 2 services. The first is the free service you get when you subscribe. This means that subscribers can get free services but have access to limited benefits, including essential security features. However, the service that the provider offers is based solely on its discretion. Nevertheless, by switching to the paid version, you will begin to enjoy all the attractive benefits of paid VPN services, including all the security features. In short, although your security is not guaranteed by this free VPN, you will have access to all security features from the minute you switch to the paid version.
- Totally free service: Above all, we don’t encourage anyone to opt for this version because everything they offer is totally free. But secondly, more often than not, these providers offer abysmal services, such as low-speed networking, endless advertising windows, data logging, data capping, and many more. The question now is, “How can these companies survive since they have no defined source of revenue? Yes, you guessed it right: They sell your data to the highest bidder. These bidders are always advertising companies looking to promote their goods and services. Once that’s done, your privacy is compromised. The only thing that matters is your data, so it’s not secure.
As a conclusion to this guide, we’ve detailed some of the best services in the industry to help you select the right secure VPN. It should be noted that one of the most important reasons people buy a VPN is to secure their online activities; therefore, your online security must be important to you. We have already explained why you need a secure VPN for browsing, chatting and torrenting. In many countries, VPNs are prohibited.
This is particularly the case in China, Iran and Turkey. You should therefore be very careful if you want to use this service in these countries. Next, we have classified 3 free VPNs available on the market into broad categories. You are strongly advised against choosing the completely free versions, as this would expose your personal information to third party companies.
Overall, we recommend that you choose from the VPNs we have reviewed in this well-documented guide, as they offer everything you need for your ideal service, including top-notch security. Do it now!