5 Best VPNs for Chromebook – Protect Your Data with a VPN
Basically, a Chromebook is a device or gadget that runs on the Linux-based Chrome operating system. Originally launched in 2011, Chromebook is a product of computer giant Google. Most often, these devices are laptops and tablets.
Chromebook is a device that allows you to perform certain tasks using the Google Chrome browser. However, the data used to perform these tasks is usually saved in the cloud in relation to the gadget itself. After 2017, many of these devices have been designed to run on both Linux OS and Google Android.
Chromebook and Its Security
Although Chromebook and Chrome OS offer a certain degree of security to its users, the online fingerprints of these individuals remain a concern. This is especially true because every day that passes presents Chromebook users with a new wave of malware, advanced phishing tools and other online data theft. As a result, they go online looking for a VPN for Chromebook. In truth, using the service is one of the most effective techniques to protect users’ online activities.
Of course, it creates an encrypted Internet traffic channel that does not allow spies to spy on the user. In addition, it automatically assigns an IP address to the user, helping the user to circumvent certain jurisdictional restrictions.
So, if you are a Chromebook that fears being secretly spied on, we show you some VPNs that you should subscribe to, to put an end to the era of constantly looking over your shoulder when you are on the Internet. Yes, we went into the market looking for the best VPN for Chromebook for you. Then we made a list for you. Take advantage of it!
5 Best Chromebook VPN – Comparison Table
Top 5 Best VPN Used for Chromebook
5. VyprVPN – Great Service VPN for Chromebook
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Basically, VyprVPN aims to offer first-class functionality and tamper-proof security to Internet users using Chrome OS. While this software may not be the best when it comes to Chromebook-friendly VPNs, it offers the user a pretty good option. What distinguishes this VPN is that it tries to bridge the growing gap between high quality and price. It is therefore one of the most affordable VPN products on this list.
Supported Client Software:
- It has more than 700 servers in 70+ locations around the world
- This service supports the simultaneous connection of 5 devices
- The features can be customized to suit a user
- NAT Firewall is enabled
- The connection is fast and reliable
- There is a 24/7 helpdesk team that answers queries
- This VPN leverages industry’s innovative technology to deliver high-level security and anonymity
- There is a no-log policy
- One-month refund option
- Chameleon protocol helps to unblock many geoblocked sites in countries like China
- Apart from Chrome OS, VyprVPN also runs on Windows, Android, Mac and iOS
- The helpdesk team needs to improve
- The monthly renewal price is high
Basically, this VPN has an Android app, which means that if your Chromebook supports the Android app, you should reach the top of the cloud. In addition, a configuration guide for L2TP connection is available. For beginners who are so concerned about price, VyprVPN is relatively affordable, so there’s no need to worry. Here are a few good things: the premium offer of this VPN would mean nothing to Chromebook users.
Let’s not forget that we already mentioned what the Chameleon protocol does. Well, this protocol is similar to OpenVPN. The advantage of Chameleon protocol over OpenVPN is that the first one doesn’t scramble packets, while the second one does. Although some people don’t see a problem with this, sometimes it’s important.
Read our detailed review of VyprVPN.
4. IPVanish – Budget Option for Chromebook
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
IPVanish, a U.S.-based VPN service, is one of the highlights of this list. As a Chromebook user, you should try this VPN because it puts your security above all else. For example, one of the measures taken by this VPN to firmly control your privacy is the management of all its servers. In other words, unlike other VPN companies that have outsourced this operation to third party companies, IPVanish has not done so.
With 1,500 ultra-fast servers spread over 75 sites around the world, you can bypass all the geoblocked sites of your choice using your Chromebook laptop. For example, you can bypass US Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and many more from the comfort of your home. In addition, there is a non-logging policy, 256-bit encryption technology and protection against DNS leaks. Since you have all these features in one VPN service, you don’t have to worry about your online security. There are even more great features.
Supported Client Software:
- IPVanish can generate up to 40,000 IP addresses
- This service can support unlimited simultaneous connections
- It offers unlimited bandwidth
- There is SOCKS5 web proxy
- There are no logs
- This VPN product is also affordable
- It can also be used for unblocking streaming sites, such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- There is a DNS leak protection
- This Chromebook VPN offers one-week refund option if a purchaser isn’t satisfied with it
- Well, its helpdesk team’s response to question is commendable
- The connection speed is good
- No trial periods
It is important to mention some of the devices this VPN product supports. These include routers, smart TVs, Chromebooks, etc. You see, the implementation of this VPN on Chromebook is nothing out of the ordinary, which is why it attracts a lot of users to it. A potential user may fear that his privacy may be compromised because IPVanish is based in the United States, member of Five Eyes. The fact is that IPVanish adheres strictly to its no login policy. Therefore, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
In addition to managing its vast network of servers by itself, Chromebook users can contact its customer service 24/7 for assistance. Of course, you can also contact the team by email or live chat. Although you can do so using either of these methods, you will most likely get a quick response when you contact them via live chat.
Read our detailed review of IPVanish.
3. NordVPN – Secured Chromebook VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Another top VPN service that should be on your list of best VPN for Chromebook is NordVPN. It undoubtedly has some of the best features you usually look for in your ideal VPN. For example, this VPN company based in Panama is leading the way in providing anonymous internet services as it has one of the best encryption technologies in the industry. For starters, NordVPN has what is called Dual VPN. If you’ve never heard of it, Double VPN is a technology that encrypts your traffic twice, hiding your online activities from cybercriminals and draconian governments. Close examination shows that this technology is unique because your data is routed through different VPN servers, which is very different from data that passes through a single channel, as seen in the industry among other VPN providers.
The NordVPN application for Chromebook is easy to use, which means that you don’t need to be a technician to install and start using the application. It should not be forgotten that NordVPN uses Onion over VPN, which means that Internet traffic passes through the provider’s server as well as through the Onion network before arriving to the subscriber. With 5,100 super-fast servers in 60 locations worldwide, you can effortlessly bypass the geoblocked sites of your choice – even if you are guaranteed to remain anonymous. Other features make this VPN fascinating.
Supported Client Software:
- Allows the simultaneous connection of 6 different devices
- There is a smart DNS service
- Additionally, it comes with a double encryption
- It has dedicated IP addresses
- There are important functionalities, such as kill switch, stealth mode, etc.
- 5,100+ servers scattered in 60+ locations around the world
- NordVPN’s connection speed is reliable and fast
- It supports lots of devices, such as online game consoles, routers, etc.
- Its 24/7 helpdesk team is always helpful to new users who struggle to use the software
- User privacy and security are guaranteed
- It has some exceptional unblocking capabilities
- Its monthly renewal fee is a little high
When it comes to one of the best VPN for Chromebook users, the NordVPN will always be in the spotlight. When it comes to security, it is interesting to know that NordVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, which is the best encryption technology in the industry today. Since the OpenVPN protocol works on Chromebook laptops, you can be sure to enjoy enterprise-class security online. The essence of anonymous web browsing is that you don’t have to worry that your traffic can be intercepted and decrypted.
In other words, you can chat with your friends, unlock georeferenced sites and torrents as you wish without fear of cyber attacks. You can connect your Chromebook laptop and get 5 additional devices connected to this VPN as it allows up to 6 simultaneous connections. It is interesting to note that you are not afraid to fall on malicious ads and websites when you access the Internet from this service. Indeed, this VPN guarantees the automatic blocking of malicious sites and advertisements. In terms of speed, this VPN has a shared tunnel and unlimited bandwidth, allowing you to get the most out of its ultra-fast servers. Undoubtedly, a list of the best VPNs for Chromebook remains incomplete without mentioning the NordVPN.
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
2. ExpressVPN – Fast Chromebook VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Based on the British Virgin Island, ExpressVPN has spent a significant amount of resources to provide one of the most efficient VPNs to a growing list of subscribers worldwide. Today, the cybersecurity company has carved out a place for itself as a full-service provider for users. Launched ten years ago, ExpressVPN runs on Chromebook and other popular operating systems. With more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries around the world, ExpressVPN helps Chromebook users effortlessly bypass georeferenced firewalls.
Other interesting security features include DNS leakage protection and WebRTC leakage protection. With an Internet kill switch, you can be sure that you won’t lose your data in the event of a network failure. When it comes to speed, some key features allow you to bypass Internet filters at breathtaking speed and maintain a buffer-free experience. For example, there are features such as split tunneling and unlimited bandwidth. All this and much more explains why we recommend ExpressVPN as one of the best VPN for Chromebook.
Supported Client Software:
- Covers up to 3,000 servers across 94 countries
- There is an Internet kill switch
- It doesn’t log sensitive data
- Apart from Chrome OS, it also runs on other operating systems, such as iOS, Microsoft, Android, etc.
- Its high-level 256-bit encryption is good for online data protection
- It has good support for torrenting and P2P activity
- This service is good for unlocking geo-restricted streaming sites, such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Hulu
- This service is super-fast and reliable
- It has many impressive security features, such as split tunneling, and DNS/IPV6 leak protection
- Going by monthly subscription, it is relatively costly
Based on the above characteristics, it is clear that one of the main VPN that offers Chromebook users unparalleled online anonymity is ExpressVPN. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN has some of the best security features in the VPN industry. For example, this VPN has 256-bit AES encryption that provides users with military-grade encryption. This means that no one will be able to decrypt the content of your traffic.
Another feature that helps protect you when accessing the web from your Chromebook is the 4096-bit RSA encrypted handshake. This is not all it offers in terms of security. There’s even more. This VPN does not keep your logs. This is reassuring because the VPN company will not have a log of your online activities to give to the authorities if they ask for it.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
1. CyberGhost – User-Friendly VPN for Chromebook
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
CyberGhost is one of our best choices because it has some of the innovative features you typically expect from a high-end VPN service. It goes without saying that a vast majority of VPN users put security first. That’s why CyberGhost has developed most of the top-notch security features of this service to ensure that Chromebook users really get value for their money. This means that not only do you have more than 5,700 high-speed servers in 112 sites around the world to bypass geoblocked sites, but you can also benefit from guaranteed anonymity while you’re at it.
Above all, this VPN reassures its global community of subscribers that it won’t compromise their logs. So the VPN company took a bold step by becoming the first VPN provider to allow a third-party auditing firm to audit its activities. In addition, CyberGhost blocks malicious advertisements and websites to protect users from harm. As the icing on the cake, the service features DNS leakage protection and 256-bit AES encryption technology. With all these features, you will enjoy an exceptional browsing, chatting and torrenting experience with your Chromebook. There are other features that make it profoundly unique.
Supported Client Software:
- Chrome OS aside, CyberGhost also runs on other operating systems, such as Windows, Android, iOS, MacOS, etc.
- Its 5,700 servers are scattered in 112 locations around the world
- It has a peer-to-peer support
- There is a Wi-Fi protection
- It allows 7 devices to connect simultaneously
- With this Chromebook VPN running on your system, you can unblock loads of geoblocked sites
- The connection speed is relatively strong
- It allows a user to enjoy torrenting
- The no-log policy is strict
- There are lots of extras, such as kill switch, anti-DNS leak and NAT firewall
- More importantly, it is user-friendly
- Although it is cheaper than ExpressVPN, CyberGhost is still considered unaffordable
- Its advanced features are not impressive
In addition to all the benefits we have listed so far, CyberGhost offers Chromebook users other interesting advantages. For example, they can make payments in Bitcoin, which allows them to keep their identity secret. In addition, there is a one-day trial, and disappointed users get a refund within 45 days. And that’s not all.
Most importantly, 256-bit AES encryption is an advanced technology that allows Chrome OS users to remain anonymous and secure when surfing the Internet. You can ask the bank: CyberGhost provides Chrome with a free proxy extension plugin and Mozilla Firefox users get an extension plugin.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
To determine the best Chromebook VPN on the market, you must take into account certain factors. You see, we took them into account before arriving at the list we have established for you above. These factors are as follows:
- Compatibility with Chromebook: There are two ways to set up a VPN on Chromebook. One of them is to install a dedicated Android client or install a browser extension. Whichever method you choose, you must make sure that your preferred VPN is provided for this purpose. If both options are not available, it means that the VPN will not work on your Chromebook.
- High connection speed: You don’t want to spend hours struggling to deliver HD videos online, do you? No, you don’t. If we’re on the same wavelength, then you need to go for a high-end service with ultra-fast servers. While many factors contribute to server speed, you need to make sure that the VPN has unlimited bandwidth and a shared tunnel. These two factors also contribute significantly to server speed.
- Good unblocking capabilities: For your VPN to easily unlock georeferenced sites, it must have a large network of servers. Let’s clarify this with examples. It will have active servers in the US to unlock US Netflix and Hulu sites as well as servers in the UK to bypass the BBC iPlayer and others. In fact, it needs to have servers strategically located around the world just to unblock critical geoblocked sites. Plus, if a VPN company has the Chameleon protocol, that’s a plus.
- Torrenting: While many people don’t consider a VPN’s ability to support P2P file sharing as a basis for determining its performance, it means the world to most users. Keep in mind that the main reason why most subscribers use a VPN in the first place is to achieve tamper-proof security. A good VPN must therefore be able to handle the torrent and offer its users the security they need to enjoy the experience.
- Price: Many people are looking for protection against hackers and eavesdropping. These cybercriminals are always active on public Wi-Fi hotspots looking for unsuspecting people to attack. They are usually seen lurking around school Wi-Fi facilities. So students are the main target. As a result, students need inexpensive but effective VPNs to hide their online activities. Yes, price is important for people with low incomes.
Using L2TP to Set Up a VPN for Chromebook
For your Chromebook to work with your favorite VPN, it will take a few minutes. So, to set up a VPN on Chromebook from L2TP, just follow these steps:
- Subscribe to one of the VPNs above
- Register and sign into your Chromebook account
- Locate and access the Settings from the Network icon
- Afterward, locate the Internet Connection, proceed to Add Connection and Add Private Network
- Key in your VPN details, such as Server hostname, Server name, Provider type, Preshared key, etc.
- Click on Connect, and it’s done!
Here are some keynotes:
- For checking the status of the VPN connection, refer to the Settings to Internet Connection and then Private Network.
- You will have to set the username, password, and then you have to check the “Save identity and password.”
- This means that you have to change the server name (say UK servers) to the name of your preferred server names in that location. You will also check the status area to determine the status of the VPN once the connection has been established. At this point, you will find out that it has been connected to that server you have in mind. To disconnect it, simply go back to the status area and disconnect by clicking on VPN disconnected.
- We cannot rule out the possibility that you could enter a wrong username, but the good thing is that you can change it. Return to the status area and then to Settings. Click on Internet connection and then click on Private network.
- At this point, you will have to select MPN GBR to change it to the name from the server hostname.
Free VPNs for Chromebook
Many Internet users are looking for free VPNs for Chromebook. Chances are that you are one of those who are looking for them, the fact is that the risk is not worth it. As you already know, the most important reason why you get a VPN for your Chromebook is to improve your online security, isn’t it? If so, then you should avoid these free versions because they rarely practice what they preach.
First of all, they exchange your personal information for a fee before they can pay for their services. In other words, these VPN providers sell your information online to advertising companies in exchange for money. They monitor your online habits by injecting cookies into your browser. Curiously, most of them do not obtain your consent before taking this action. This is terrible!
Since they rarely have enough servers to hunt down the many subscribers lining up to use their services, you’ll probably waste time. In other words, their uptime is limited because they don’t have enough bandwidth. Yes, you can be sure that your connection will also be strangled by their monthly data cap.
Today’s high-end VPNs have developed malware and website blockers so that you don’t have to worry about them when you are surfing the web. Free versions do not have such technologies. But there are cases where they do offer free services, which means that you get more useful features when you opt for the paid versions.
The truth is that VPN companies need money to take care of their IT infrastructure, your personal information will be sold to raise money. To avoid this, you should opt for the paid version, as it can’t compromise your security for anything in the world. Yes, you deserve better, and you can only get it by subscribing to a paid VPN.
Final Thoughts About the Best VPN for Chromebook
So we’ve put together a list for you. Simply choose from the list of VPNs we’ve reviewed above for you. With a VPN running on your Chromebook, you can be sure:
- Your identity and location are hidden
- You can unblock lots of geo-restricted sites
- You are safe from cybercriminals
- You can bypass government restrictions
- You can enjoy torrenting
Of course, the above points summarize everything you need to know to get the best VPN for your Chromebook. To make your VPN work on Chromebook, just follow the steps we described above. It’s simple and straightforward.
Moreover, please note that you should avoid free VPNs for the reasons we have already mentioned. More importantly, Chromebook is like any other laptop, whose users are vulnerable to cyber attacks, malware attacks (using phishing tools) and online monitoring. You must take steps to avoid falling prey to such vulnerabilities.
What are you waiting for? It’s time to join the many technicians who use VPNs for Chromebook, just to enjoy all these activities listed above. Do it now!