5 Best VPNs for Canada – Stay Anonymous & Unblock Any Restricted Content
Canada is a member of the Five Eyes, a group of countries that have signed a treaty to share information among themselves about Internet users who violate copyright laws. However, this means that people’s online activities are already shared among member nations.
Canadians may be aware that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) can freely fingerprint people online and share them with law enforcement. Among the information they could share is their browsing history, the people they send messages to, and the sites they typically visit.
You may think you have no reason to cover your tracks, but it doesn’t stop there. In addition to the government’s interest in the activities of Internet users, hackers are still active with phishing tools looking for the next victim to exploit their personal data. All of this explains why every Canadian must take steps to secure their online activities.
This brings us to an important part of this guide: How do you keep your online activities safe? At this point, you should think about it, as a large part of your current activities revolve around the Internet. If we are on the same wavelength, the solution is to use a Canadian VPN (Virtual Private Network) application or software. This software essentially helps the user hide their Internet traffic channel, keeping their online footprint safe and anonymous.
With the VPN, users have a web-based tool that encrypts their packets and assigns them a new IP address, making it difficult for ISPs, governments and hackers to know who they are or what they are doing online. Now that you know what the VPN does for you, we’ll show you the most suitable VPNs.
5 Best VPN Canada – Comparison Table
Top 5 Most Suitable VPN for Canada
5. PrivateVPN – All-Round VPN for Canada
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Based in Sweden, PrivateVPN fights against the big names, as it offers characteristics almost similar to well-established names. With 100 servers in many locations around the world, this VPN for Canada allows you to effortlessly bypass your favorite streaming sites and start enjoying them. It’s true that PrivateVPN doesn’t have many servers like the others, but it is quite affordable, which is an advantage over them. With a NAT firewall installed, protection against DNS leaks, and a strictly enforced no-logs policy, you can be sure that no prying Canadian eye will ever have any idea what you’re doing online. Yes, that’s a plus.
And having to choose between 128- or 256-bit encryption reaffirms that you have the power to determine how this VPN for Canada keeps your online traces safe. No matter what you decide, you’re still missing out. Because the servers are fully optimized for speed, you can stream sites without any form of buffering. Of the above, PrivateVPN has some fascinating features that guarantee you protection at any time, any day. You should give it a try.
Supported Client Software:
- PrivateVPN allows up to 6 devices to connect at the same time
- Its 100 servers are deployed across 150 locations, including 4 servers in Canada
- There is a Netflix support
- Zero logs and unlimited bandwidth
- It also has support for many VPN protocols
- Allows for torrenting and other P2P activity
- PrivateVPN is very affordable
- It has clients for Windows, Linux, iOS, MacOS, and Android
- Superb for keeping users’ online footprints anonymous
- It has good capabilities for unblocking streaming sites
- Good upload and download strengths
- Difficult to connect simultaneously to some servers
You’ve seen how hard the VPN for Canada works to keep you safe when you’re surfing the Internet, streaming or following your loved ones across Canada and beyond. When you start experiencing technical problems, you can always contact its customer service 24/7 via live chat or email. In the blink of an eye, they’ll take on challenges on their own or guide you step by step through your project. With DNS and IPV6 leakage protection, Internet kill switch and no-logs policy, PrivateVPN assures you that it has all the features that are synonymous with high-end services.
It goes without saying that the use of the application is very simple and that it is compatible with the world’s main operating systems: Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, router, etc. Most importantly, you don’t need to be a technician to start using it because you can install it quickly thanks to a well-defined three-step installation process. What’s more, you can share with up to six friends, as it allows up to six simultaneous connections. All these benefits explain why we’ve added this VPN for Canada to the list for you.
Read our detailed review of PrivateVPN.
4. IPVanish – Great VPN for Canada
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
When you have a VPN service with up to 35 super fast servers in a country, it means that it takes the country seriously. Yes, this is one of the benefits IPVanish brings to Canada. Elsewhere in the world, it has more than 1,500 super-fast servers. You see, you can unlock local geo-restricted sites in a fraction of a second – thanks to its strong presence in the country. Chances are you’ll prefer to connect to other sites like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Hulu and many others. Guess what? It has about 500 super-fast servers in the U.S., Canada’s neighbor, making it easy to bypass all local and foreign streaming sites from Ottawa or any other Canadian city. On top of that, there’s 256-bit encryption technology, DNS leakage protection, and a no-logs policy.
All of these measures are calculated by this VPN for Canada, so you don’t have to look over your shoulder when bypassing geo-blocked sites in Canada and around the world. Plus, with the shared funneling and unlimited bandwidth, you can bypass geo-blocked sites in no time at all. Meanwhile, the connection will remain unbuffered. In summary, all these advantages show that IPVanish is one of the most popular VPNs in Canada. Yes, that’s why it is on this list.
Supported Client Software:
- Allows unlimited devices to connect simultaneously
- There are over 40,000 dedicated and shared IPs
- IPVanish has up to 1500 servers scattered across 75 locations, including 33 in Canada
- No-log policy and Internet kill switch
- SOCKS5 Web proxy is available
- IPVanish is excellent for unblocking streaming sites, such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu
- This VPN for Canada unlimited bandwidth for torrenting and online gaming
- It runs on Windows, Linux, iOS, MacOS and Android
- The customer care offers technical support via live chats
- There is a 30-day refund guaranteed
- Additionally, supports many VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN and IKEv2
- It is based in the United States, a member of the Fives Eyes
In conclusion, you will have to manually configure this Canadian VPN if you intend to use it on a Linux operating system or router. Having a few servers in Canada allows users of this service to enjoy it with breathtaking speed. For all Canadians entering the VPN world, this VPN is cool because it is very affordable. As far as user monitoring and government interference is concerned, it remains a concern for many users because the United States is a member of “Five Eyes”.
Although this company is not known for penetrating the Netflix firewall, it does so transparently. Again, we must be sincere in our review of this VPN, as it has no “wow factor”, but we must give it some credit for its reach. It works on all operating systems. You should try it yourself.
Read our detailed review of IPVanish.
3. ExpressVPN – Multi-Featured VPN for Canada
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Your desire to keep out ISPs and dominant Canadian hackers begin with the existence of ExpressVPN. It features military-grade encryption, 4,096-bit RSA keys and SHA256 authentication. Other key security features include a no login policy and DNS leakage protection. All of these security features are seamlessly integrated, so you can be sure to keep prying eyes away for good. In other words, when you use its vast network of servers to unlock geo-blocked sites, you have nothing to worry about.
In addition, you can use this VPN for Canada to protect yourself when you’re surfing the web from a public Wi-Fi network in Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto. You’ll easily bypass Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Hulu and Amazon Fire TV. However, if you are faced with this problem, you can contact customer service 24/7 to help you. Guess what? No matter what time you contact them, you’re sure to get an answer in no time. Interestingly, you can reach them by email or live chat. Below are some other fascinating features of ExpressVPN.
Supported Client Software:
- ExpressVPN can generate up to 30,000 IP addresses
- It doesn’t record logs
- This Canada VPN comes with an Internet kill switch
- It allows 5 devices to connect at the same time
- 256-bit strong encryption
- It is compatible with Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android and Linux
- ExpressVPN is cool for torrenting and other P2P activities
- It is the best VPN for accessing Canadian sites from overseas
- This service supports many VPN protocols, such OpenVPN, IKEv2, and PPTP
- Buyers can get their money refunded within 30 days
- With a vast spread of servers both in Canada and around the world, ExpressVPN can seamlessly unblock any site
- ExpressVPN payment plan is a bit pricey
You’ve already seen all the benefits of using this VPN product, but there are even more. Considering its speed, our tests show that in Canada, ExpressVPN performs upload and downloads at breakneck speed. You see, we did the speed test under two conditions: with and without the VPN. In the end, we found that there is not much difference between its speed when the VPN is connected and when it is not.
This is because there are over 3000 speed-optimized servers in 94 countries, including Canada. What’s more, the security offered by VPN Express is excellent. In this regard, there is a no-logs policy and 256-bit encryption technology. All of these features are unanimously agreed upon to provide a high level of confidentiality and security. Yes, it’s a good product and deserves a place on that list.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
2. CyberGhost – User-Friendly VPN for Canada
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
When we did a test on CyberGhost, we discovered some interesting features. This explains why we added it to this list of the best VPNs for Canada. First of all, this VPN for Canada has many protocols, such as PPTP, L2TP/IPsec and OpenVPN. These protocols allow it to work seamlessly on many different platforms. As a result, it is compatible with all common operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS and many others. With 5,700 high-speed servers in 112 locations worldwide, unlocking your favorite geo-blocked sites is a snap. If you want to make torrents in Canada, this service remains your best chance, as it has a dedicated server in the North American country.
From the comfort of your home, you can effortlessly share P2P files with family and colleagues. Although the service is not yet available, CyberGhost continues to make concerted efforts to expand its horizons. It goes without saying that this VPN for Canada not only deploys its servers worldwide but also deploys a vast network of ultra-fast servers. This has made browsing, streaming and streaming a pleasant activity. Other features make this VPN for Canada one of the most sought-after, as shown below.
Supported Client Software:
- CyberGhost has 140 servers in Canada and 530 servers in the USA
- It runs on Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS and Android
- It has a strong 256-bit encryption
- Allows up to 7 different devices to connect simultaneously
- It has a no-log policy
- It enables Canadian users to effortlessly torrent and enjoy other P2P activities
- It unblocks many streaming websites, including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc.
- The helpdesk team offers round-the-clock technical support via real-time chat
- CyberGhost supports chat and email
- This Canadian VPN has lots of impressive extras
- This blocks malicious ads and malware
- The connection speed is not impressive
- Its desktop interface is clumsy
- Expensive monthly subscription
Based in Romania, CyberGhost gives its users in Canada many reasons to stay hooked to its service and enjoy all that it has to offer. As far as user security is concerned, this Canadian VPN does not compromise it as it features 256-AES encryption, an industry requirement for military-grade security.
It is interesting to note that there is a 45-day money-back option for some buyers who were not impressed with this VPN product. On the other hand, we should mention that some servers in Canada do not support torrenting and P2P activities. Also, the monthly subscription, although expensive, is worth it. It’s a good purchase, and you should check it out yourself.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
1. NordVPN – Secured Canada VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
NordVPN deserves a place on our list of best VPNs for Canada because it offers users in Canada and beyond a seamless way to browse the web and stay extremely secure and anonymous. NordVPN has 5,100 servers in more than 60 locations around the world.
Of those servers, there are over 364 servers in Canada. Thanks to a technology called Double VPN, NordVPN is able to securely send user data through two VPN servers at the same time. Based in Panama, NordVPN does not record metadata of user activity.
Supported Client Software:
- NordVPN allows up to 6 simultaneous connections
- This VPN offers Double Data encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth and kill switch
- There are no IP and DNS leaks
- With the aid of Double VPN, NordVPN offers military-grade security
- It gives users a lot of server options
- There is support for torrenting and other P2P activity
- The connection speed is awesome
- NordVPN is terrific for VoIP
- It supports many VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, PPTP and IKEv2
- Automatic server selection doesn’t work well
- The monthly subscription plan is pricey
The fact is that this Canadian VPN is one of the leading VPN servers in Canada and around the world because it leverages industry technology to provide rock-solid security and privacy. Indeed, security and anonymity are important in the VPN world, as these are the two primary goals of VPN coverage in the first place.
In addition, it pays users back within 30 days if they are not satisfied with the product, and it is ultra-fast to unlock and deliver HD content. To top it all off, NordVPN is equipped with anti-DDoS and an ad blocker. Are you in Canada? If so, this is a top-notch VPN you should try.
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Canada?
Overall, you will need an VPN for Canada for the following reasons:
- Unblocking streaming sites: It cannot be stressed enough, we need a VPN for Canada to continue to bypass certain streaming sites. Note that many VPNs have servers in Canada and around the world to allow you to bypass local and foreign geo-blocked sites. For example, if you’re a fan of Canadian Netflix, you’ll find that you won’t be able to access some of its content while you’re abroad. Therefore, the best thing to do is to get a VPN for Canada to get around local restrictions and allow you to broadcast your favorite channels outside of Canada. As well, you’ll need it to access US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Fire TV and other streaming giants not based in the country. Yes, it’s even reassuring to know that VPN is legal in Canada.
- Government agencies: You may think you don’t need a VPN in Canada because the country doesn’t have draconian internet laws. Guess what? You do because ever since the country signed its anti-terrorism law in 2015, its agencies have been scouring its cyberspace just to gather intelligence. While we encourage the use of VPNs for the right reasons, you’ll need a VPN for Canada to prevent the government from following your online trail. Please note that if the government follows you for any reason, they will know that you are using a VPN to access the Internet. However, they will not be able to know what you are doing online.
- Torrenting: While you are free to do many things online when you are in Canada, you will not be able to justify downloading copyrighted material without the explicit consent of the rightful owners. The truth is that illegal downloads are common. To be clear, downloading this type of material is illegal in Canada. Most of the time, users are sharing copyrighted books, television programs and music. When the Internet service provider discovers that an individual is downloading and sharing this type of material, it notifies the offender, who can be fined up to $5,000. While we do not encourage the downloading of intellectual property and other copyrighted materials, you will need a VPN to avoid trouble in Canada.
- Safety from cybercriminals: As we’ve said before, you need a VPN for Canada to prevent hackers from bothering you. No part of the world is safe from hackers who are continually looking for unsuspecting victims to take advantage of their vulnerabilities. This is even common when you need to access the Internet from a public WiFi. According to statistics, Canada has had its share of cybercrime, losing more than $3 billion to cybercrime and related activities. The report reveals that the incident has forced the Canadian government to increase its funding for cybersecurity. Despite this measure to stem the tide, Statistica.com noted that cybercrime is still on the rise. This shows that no part of Canada is safe. Therefore, accessing the web with a VPN for Canada is essential, as it guarantees anonymity and prevents malicious advertisements from damaging your device while you are surfing the Internet.
VPNs That You Should Avoid
In this well-researched guide, we’ve introduced you to the best VPNs for Canada. Although all the VPNs on this list are fee-based VPNs, you may be tempted to opt for certain VPNs for reasons you are familiar with. That being said, you are strongly advised to avoid the VPNs listed below:
- PureVPN: When the VPN discloses sensitive information to U.S. agencies to facilitate the arrest of a culprit, this should be a cause for concern. That’s why we blacklisted PureVPN because it gave the IP address of Ryan Lin, a 24-year-old American accused of harassing a former roommate. The FBI, the American crime watchdog, then arrested and prosecuted this man. While we do not tolerate any form of crime, PureVPN crossed the line by helping the feds catch the same user he was supposed to protect.
- Hotspot Shield: This VPN deserves a place on our blacklist because some privacy advocates have filed a class action suit against the cybersecurity company, alleging that it is hijacking HTTP requests. We found that Hotspot Shield redirects users to its affiliate site when they request to visit a certain e-commerce site. To add insult to injury, it was later discovered that this VPN sells subscriber data to third party companies. This goes against everything the VPN stands for.
- TunnelBear: It is a relatively affordable VPN that offers many benefits to users. In particular, this VPN gives you free data to subscribe to its service. Since it is incorporated in Canada, we strongly advise you to avoid this VPN, as Canadian authorities may require it to disclose customer data to the government.
Final Words About Best VPN for Canada
We need to make a strong case that torrenting is an illegal activity in Canada because it involves the illegal sharing of copyrighted files. Under the Copyright Modernization Act, Canadian authorities are required to target people who are likely to steal intellectual property, including Internet users. When arrested, they can be fined up to US$5,000. This means that if you have to make a torrent, you need to make sure your VPN is strong so that you don’t become a scapegoat.
To technically determine the best VPN for Canada, you will need to perform a few important tests. These tests include speed, malware and IP leakage. The results of all of these tests will determine whether or not the VPN is excellent. However, we’ve already done the test for you, so simply choose from the list of VPNs we’ve reviewed in this guide. Never settle for free VPNs, as many of them sell user data to the highest bidder.