5 Best VPNs for Android – Secure Your Phone & Tablet
Android is an operating system (OS) developed by modifying the Linux kernel and other open source system software. It is designed by a technology consortium, the Open Handset Alliance, for smartphones and tabs. Simply touch the screen of the smart device to make it work. The US technology giant Google is the main contributor to the alliance.
Published in September 2008, it is available in more than 100 languages. According to Google, there are more than 2.5 billion active Android OS users worldwide. The press release pointed out that this figure was just based on Play Store statistics, excluding Amazon’s non-play Store forks and smartphones not too popular in China.
As far as security is concerned, there is no doubt that Android has rock-solid security. Despite this, the media reports cyber-incursions on Android OS. For example, the WikiLeaks whistleblower published a classified document detailing how the US foreign spy organization, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), hacked into various operating systems between 2013 and 2016.
Similarly, in 2013, the media reported how major U.S. and U.K. intelligence-gathering agencies compromised many platforms, including Android. All of these reports show that Android users need to improve their games in order to enhance their security. And the best way to strengthen their security is to get a VPN for their smartphone.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Android?
In addition to preventing the government from spying on your device to find out what you’re doing online, there are other reasons why you need to protect your Android device:
- Theft: Using an advanced phishing tool, cybercriminals inject malware into your computer. Although the objective varies from one cybercriminal to another, most of them steal or destroy sensitive parts of your computer. In some cases, they inject Trojan horses, which automatically convert your computer into a mining platform. Basically, a mining platform is a machine used to extract cryptocurrencies. This is not a good thing because there are powerful machines used for this purpose. So, when these cryptojackers get access to your computer, your system starts to slow down. If it is not removed, the virus can potentially destroy your system. You will therefore need a VPN to protect yourself from these machines, as they contain ad blockers and malware.
- Torrenting: Do you like to share P2P files using the BitTorrent protocol? If so, you can do so on your smartphone if you have a VPN that supports it. Of course, you need a VPN for this purpose, as the torrent is prohibited in many jurisdictions around the world. Thus, the VPN will help you hide your true identity when accessing torrent sites. When content creators come looking for you, they won’t see your IP address because the VPN provider will assign you a different one.
- Anonymity: One of the things you can do with an Android VPN is to keep your online activities anonymous. When you remain anonymous, no one really knows the face behind the keyboard. So you can do whatever you want to do online without having to look over your shoulder. For example, some domineering ISPs may decide to find out what you are really doing online. Since your online activities are hidden by the secure network, they won’t be able to do this. Nevertheless, they will know that you are accessing the Internet through a VPN service.
- Bypassing geo-blocked services: From country to country, from region to region, multinational streaming companies regulate the content their viewers watch. For example, Netflix enters into contractual agreements with content manufacturers to limit the distribution of their movies to certain locations. Since the agreement is binding on the parties, the streaming giant will have to abide by it. In some cases, some streaming sites only serve a certain locality. You will therefore need a VPN for Android in order to bypass their firewalls and access the content of these sites.
After all this journey, it is now clear that you understand why you need to access the Internet from a secure network. Well, the hurdle you’ll have to overcome is that the technology market is saturated with too many VPNs, making too many promises. It’s pretty sad that you don’t know that they are actually economical until you subscribe to the service.
After that, you’ll start to regret it. However, we’ve done extensive research in the industry to find the best products for your Android device. So, we’re glad we’ve summarized them in this chart for you. That being said, you should keep reading to find out why one is better than the other.
5 Best Android VPNs – Comparison Table
Top 5 Best VPN for Android
5. ExpressVPN – Fast Android VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
The fact is that ExpressVPN is popular in the industry because its Android application offers high speed and security. Indeed, the British Virgin Islands-based company has a network of 3,000 high-speed servers in 160 locations around the world, allowing it to bypass pay-per-use geo-blocked sites on the go. You can bypass BBC iPlayer, Netflix and Kodi firewalls. We all know how annoying it can be to broadcast HD video and programs from a very slow network.
So the excellent speed means that your HD streaming experience will be free of endless buffering. However, it doesn’t matter which Android operating system you use, as this application runs on all versions of Android. You’ll also appreciate the one-click connection to the next server. It has a 4.1 rating on Google Play, which simply tells you to try it
Supported Client Software:
- ExpressVPN has 3000 ultra-fast servers scattered in more than 160 locations
- It supports IKEv2, PPTP and OpenVPN
- Maximum security powered by AES-256 encryption
- DNS/IPV6 leak protection
- It has ultra-fast servers, making it super easy to unblock the geo-restricted sites
- Its customer service is excellent
- Its DNS leak protection is superb
- ExpressVPN doesn’t keep your logs
- It is pricey
- There are not enough advanced configurations for techies
To summarize some of the good features this service brings to your Android mobile device, it’s essential that we shed some light on its security. Indeed, this Android VPN has AES 256-bit encryption, a zero-connection policy and an auto kill switch. All these features work in harmony, so your online privacy is guaranteed. If you are experiencing this issue, you can contact customer support.
Of course, the team works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will respond to your message in a fraction of a second. The Android application is easy to use and works with a wide range of devices. For example, it works with the Kindle, tablets, smartphones and Android TV boxes. It is undoubtedly one of the most reliable services available.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
4. CyberGhost – User-Friendly VPN for Android
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
We have added this service provider based in Romania for you because it has some interesting features. First of all, CyberGhost has more than 5,700 super-fast servers that are deployed in 112 locations worldwide. This wide distribution of servers means that you can unlock many geo-blocked sites using your Android mobile device.
Another factor that makes it stand out is its impressive speed. As you already know, the combination of high speed and wide server distribution simply means that you will have a memorable streaming experience. This Android VPN also allows you to connect up to 7 devices at the same time.
Supported Client Software:
- CyberGhost has more than 5,700 servers in 112 locations
- 7 multiple logins
- It employs a AES-256 bit encryption
- There are Internet kill switch and no-logs policy
- The geographically diverse servers enable users to unlock geo-blocked sites in a split second
- It blocks malicious ads, sites and malware, thus keeping you safe
- You can connect from lots of smart TV, smartphones, etc.
- There is a customer service desk that offers quick responses to complaints and queries
- The Android version has no split tunneling
- The monthly plan is expensive
In conclusion, it is essential to remember that this is one of the service providers with a very efficient helpdesk. So do not hesitate to contact the team whenever you have difficulties with the application. Otherwise, this is a user-friendly application that connects in the blink of an eye. If you watch how they work, you can reach the helpdesk via email or live chats. Yes, they take care of their users in 4 different languages.
It is obvious that a large majority of VPN users want some privacy when they are online. Well, it doesn’t keep your logs and has 256-AES bit encryption. All these measures are deliberate efforts to protect your online activities. Do you enjoy browsing from a Wi-Fi hotspot using your Android device? If so, your security is always guaranteed because this VPN also has Wi-Fi protection. So, the service ensures that you can anonymously access any public Wi-Fi network of your choice.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
3. Private Internet Access – Budget Android VPN
Money-back guarantee: 7-day
PIA deserves a good place on this list because it offers Android users fantastic benefits. With more than 3335 super-fast servers spread over 37 sites, you can be sure to easily and conveniently bypass geo-blocked sites. Given the vast network of servers, you can stream the US Netflix and Hulu sites. Many users consider it one of the fastest VPNs for Android, which is why it’s rated 4.0 on the Google Play Store.
If you take a look at its privacy features, this service has standard AES-256-bit encryption. In other words, your traffic remains impossible to decrypt. Yes, that’s a plus. It’s also interesting to note that it connects to the fastest server once you launch the application from your Android device, and it comes with an ad blocker. Check out the other features below.
Supported Client Software:
- 3335+ super-fast servers in 37 server locations
- Has AES 256-bit encryption technology and zero-logs policy
- Has a 24/7 customer service
- It has support for torrenting
- This service has an ad and malware blocker
- Diverse distribution of servers is good for effective site unblocking
- It has 256-bit encryption for high-level privacy
- PIA is affordable
- The Android app is not user-friendly
- It doesn’t unblock American Netflix
You will certainly appreciate the fact that this VPN has a good support service. Indeed, its customer service team will take care of all your technical problems in no time at all. As far as your security is concerned, this application has a no-connection policy that is strictly enforced. This reassures you that the VPN company does not have any data to pass on to law enforcement as the management does not keep it in the first place.
You will also appreciate the fact that it has support for the torrent. Finally, this Android app is economical, which means you don’t have to be a bag of money to afford one. Yes, everyone, regardless of their financial situation, deserves online protection, and that’s what PIA stands for.
Read our detailed review of Private Internet Access.
2. TunnelBear – Budget Option for Android
Money-back guarantee: 7-day
As a low-income earner searching for the best VPN for Android, you have the perfect app in this TunnelBear. Indeed, it’s safe to say that TunnelBear has been designed with low income in mind because it’s affordable. Looking at the gains it brings on board, this easy to use application has over 1800 servers in 23 locations. Thanks to this vast server deployment, you can unlock a large number of geo-blocked sites.
Supported Client Software:
- 1800+ servers in 23 server locations
- 256-bit encryption
- There is a zero-logs policy
- There is torrenting support
- Gives lots of freebies, including free 500 MB of data every month
- TunnelBear has a no-logs policy
- It is very affordable
- A stunning Android app
- TunnelBear has few servers
In conclusion, TunnelBear has taken the bold step of hiring an independent auditing company to verify its operations and has successfully passed the safety audit. This should be of interest to you. On the other hand, we should not overlook the fact that this VPN has unlimited bandwidth, which improves its speed in several ways. You can also count on this service to give you impressive uptime – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
It has a “zero logging” policy, which reassures users of the importance of their security. It is particularly comforting to see that this service targets people with low incomes, which shows that everyone deserves some security online. In truth, it is one of the most effective VPN services for students.
Read our detailed review of TunnelBear.
1. NordVPN – Multi Featured VPN for Android
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
If you need the best Android VPN, you should seriously consider this application. You see, we’ve added NordVPN to this list for you because it has exciting features that will blow your mind. It’s no wonder it’s garnered top reviews on Google Play with 5 million downloads. It has a huge server, which allows you to unlock many streaming sites. You’ll also appreciate the fact that this VPN for Android has incredible speed. Thanks to this speed, it’s very easy to bypass the geo-blocked streaming sites of your choice and view their latest broadcasts.
You can stream US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Firestick, Hobo, Hulu and more. Because your privacy is important, this Panama-based company is renowned for putting the protection of user privacy first. It has a “zero log” policy, which guarantees that your personal information is not retained by the company. In addition, its standard AES-256 encryption system offers unbreakable encryption. It has even more good features.
Supported Client Software:
- It has more than 5,100 servers in 60 locations
- Has support for OpenVPN, IKEv2, PPTP, etc.
- There is an IPv6/DNS leak protection
- Keeps no-logs
- NordVPN has a vast distribution of servers that enables you to bypass geo-restricted sites on the go
- Its security features are rock-solid
- It has an ultra-fast speed
- There is a 24/7 helpdesk that supports its users
- Its monthly subscription is pricey
- Generally a basic app
In addition, NordVPN supports P2P file sharing via the BitTorrent protocol. This allows you to share files on the go without fear of being tracked. Did we forget to mention that its Dual VPN works well on your Android device? It certainly does. In case you didn’t know it, Double VPN is an encryption technology that allows the service to double the encryption of your traffic. It adds a layer of privacy to your online activities.
Note that it changes your IP address, making it difficult for content creators to determine your true IP address. If you are connecting to this service and are experiencing difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact its 24/7 customer support. Yes, they work 24 hours a day, so you will get an instant response from them. With all these exciting features, making NordVPN your best Android VPN is a good decision!
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Android?
At this point, we’ve reviewed some of the services that give you value for money. Simply choose from the list we’ve put together for you. During our research, we’ve taken a number of factors into consideration. These factors are without a doubt the most critical conditions that you need to consider before deciding on the best solution for you. These factors are as follows:
- Speed of the network
- The vast network of servers
- Compatibility with your Android device
- Security (encryption technology used)
- Other features (torrenting support, advanced configuration, price, etc.)
You need to consider all this before choosing if you want to get the best out of the VPN market. Nevertheless, this well-documented guide has done all the work for you, just make your choice here.
Free VPNs for Android
Basically, we can approach free VPNs for Android from three different points of view. First of all, there are premium services that offer Android users trial periods. The goal is to attract potential users by allowing them to use the service for free for a set period of time. At the end of this period, these users are expected to subscribe to the service. However, many users repeatedly do not subscribe after the trial period expires, forcing many VPN providers to rescind this policy.
Second, there is a category of VPN services that offer free services. This means that subscribers can obtain free services but have access to limited benefits. For example, you may not be able to make a torrent because you are using the free version. Nevertheless, when you upgrade to the paid version, you will start enjoying all the exciting benefits of paid VPN services.
Finally, this is the category of VPN services that we don’t recommend any Android OS user to try. You see, they offer everything on a platter; you don’t pay for the services. But then, often, these providers offer abysmal services, such as slow network speeds, endless ad windows, data logging, data capping, and more. To compound already serious problems, they sell your data to the highest bidder. Yes, these bidders always advertise for companies looking to promote their goods and services.
Here’s the problem: most VPN subscribers use the secure network to access the Internet because they want to remain anonymous. But when their VPN provider sells their personal information in exchange for money, it means their privacy has been compromised. If you look at why these providers do it, it is understandable that they have to pay their overhead. However, it is commendable that some of them claim to offer a no network access policy, but secretly collect and sell their users’ personal information.
In conclusion, we’ve reviewed 5 outstanding VPN services for you to choose from as an Android OS user. The fact is that when you choose one of them, they will simply exceed your expectations. But since they all have many advantages, it might be hard for you to choose. In that case, you need to focus on their flaws. Which of their shortcomings do you find unbearable? This is a great way to make a choice!
However, rest assured that we have taken into consideration all the factors listed in the section about how to choose the best VPN for Android segment above. So, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just choose from the list and start enjoying your Android device without fear of prying eyes.