Doing laundry is a regular chore in every functional household, and the load is even bigger when there is a little baby in the house. Using a regular detergent to wash your little baby’s clothes would not just damage the clothes, it is also very likely to result in skin irritation and conditions such as eczema. Invest in the best baby laundry detergent you can find if you intend to wash your baby’s clothes effectively without ruining them or experiencing any skin irritation.
Newborns are so adorably attractive! Yes, they are, but with all that cuteness comes loads of baby laundry hampers. Even if you do not use cloth diapers, you will still have a lot of work to do, and you have to do it well for the sake of your baby’s health.
Before we get further into this post, here are some benefits you stand to gain from the best baby laundry detergent. First, they are made of carefully selected ingredients that are mild. This is important because harsh chemicals may leave harmful residue on the cloth, which may transfer to your baby’s delicate skin, triggering some complications.
The mildness of these detergents does not take away from their effectiveness. They are potent enough to cleanse your baby’s clothing properly. If your baby’s skin is extra sensitive, you may want to use the same products to wash your clothes and those of others who are around your baby quite often, especially members of the same household. A lot of these baby products have mild and baby-friendly fragrances in them that are not harmful to most babies. Of course, fragrance-free products will do also.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Laundry Detergent?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need Baby Laundry Detergent?
- How to Pick the Right Baby Laundry Detergent
- Top 5 Best Baby Laundry Detergents
- 1. Dreft Stage 1: Newborn, Ultra Concentrated Liquid Laundry Baby Detergent
- 2. All Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 3. Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 4. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent
- 5. Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent for Baby
- Types of Baby Laundry Detergents
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need Baby Laundry Detergent?
Babies are very delicate. For example, not clipping their nails with baby nail clippers when necessary might cause them to scratch their skin and hurt themselves. So, extra care and caution must be applied when taking care of a baby. This theory does not refer to just their physical ability and size, it also refers to their ability to withstand germs. You see, the immune system of children requires some time before it is fully developed and able to withstand common environmental factors. Until that happens, it is the responsibility of the parents and caregivers to do the best they can to keep the baby healthy.
Because babies’ skin is sensitive and not yet accustomed to a lot of the irritants that adults are used to, baby detergents are made with chemicals that are not as harsh as the regular ones to protect their skin. Note that these special products are to be used in washing not just their clothes but also every other fabric that your baby may most likely come in contact with frequently including a baby mosquito net. Interestingly, some board-certified pediatricians recommend using the same product for your own clothes as the primary caregiver for the child.
Another benefit of laundry detergents for babies is their ability to effectively clean baby clothes without altering the feel, color, or other properties of the clothes. For instance, using harsher products can strip away the flame-retardant properties of a cloth. It can cause the feel of the cloth to change; it may become coarser than usual, which can irritate your baby’s skin. It can also cause the color of the cloth to fade away, making it less appealing.
Can you name any regular detergent that is fragrance-free? Exactly! There are hardly any out there, and this is all the more reason to go for these special detergents. Baby lotion, detergents, and other products that are fragrance-free are less likely to trigger any sensitivity issues in kids. For your information, scented products, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry, can cause birth defects, cancer, damage to the immune system, and a number of other problems for children when they are exposed to these products.
A lot of these regular laundry products are made with dyes, which can lead to poisoning for vulnerable babies. Usually, a bit of the product is left on clothes after a washing cycle, and there is a high possibility that your little one may put the cloth in her mouth and cause herself harm. According to health experts, some of the possible side effects of dye poisoning include skin irritation, respiratory problems, difficulty speaking and swallowing, stomach pain, hypotension, and so on.
These harmful chemicals may be present in these products in small quantities, which are so small that they are less likely to affect adults. That much cannot be said for children, whose immune systems are still too fragile to handle as much. The safest way to avoid these issues for your little one is by getting the best baby detergent you can find, but how do you know which product is great for you and your baby?
How to Pick the Right Baby Laundry Detergent
There are many different brands out there, which all claim to offer the best baby laundry detergent ever. A lot of times, their marketing tactics are so obvious and desperate that you may cringe. Well, we have information to help you cut through the hype. So, here are some of the factors that can assist you in making the best decision ever.
- Brands: This is very important because the reputation of the company is on the line when they make a product for babies, and their reputation precedes them. If there is any popular brand you have heard so much about, that may be a good place to start looking. You may also want to consider brands that have been around for a while. They are experienced and have maintained relevance for a long time, so they are worth checking out. Some of the brands we recommend include Dreft, All liquid, and Puracy.
- Ingredients: You should read what is written on the product label to make sure it does not contain any harmful chemicals that can pose a health risk to your baby. Be on the lookout for chemical-free or organic products mostly made of natural ingredients. Additives like bleach, stain remover, and brighteners should be avoided by all means.
- Hypoallergenic: Children are highly prone to allergies and should be kept away from triggers. Go for products that are labelled as hypoallergenic. You can also read through every ingredient to make sure they are not triggers, and you can ask for recommendations as well. This will help you to make the right decision since the FDA does not regulate the use of the term “hypoallergenic.”
- Residue-free: Clothing will usually have a little bit of the detergent on it after a wash cycle, and this is not very safe for babies. So, experts recommend the use of liquid detergent in washing baby clothes. The reason is that it rinses out better. To ensure your baby’s clothes are properly rinsed out, you can use hard water to rinse them and rinse them at least twice after each wash.
- Scent: If you have a baby that suffers from allergies, then it is in your best interest and those of your baby for you to use scent-free detergents. A lot of the best-quality brands out there do not include any form of fragrance in their baby products, which is great. Although this is a matter of personal choice, experts highly recommend using a fragrance-free detergent for your little one.
- High-efficiency formula: Baby detergent should be mild, but they are expected to be effective in removing the stains babies make on their clothes on a daily basis. Laundry detergents should be able to wash a soiled cloth diaper, spit-ups, and food stains properly. With proper guidance, you can find something that is both effective in removing stains and cost-effective at the same time.
Top 5 Best Baby Laundry Detergents
Now, let us be more specific in discussing the best laundry detergent for babies available on the market. In addition to the previous information, which can serve as a buying guide, we also carried out in-depth research to select the top five best baby laundry detergents.
1. Dreft Stage 1: Newborn, Ultra Concentrated Liquid Laundry Baby Detergent Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
A lot of parents and baby caregivers are always singing the praises of Dreft laundry detergent, which is understandable. It is such a great product and offers excellent value at an affordable price. It comes in an attractive ergonomic package that is eco-friendly and easy to use. You can either go for the sixty-four-load pack or the ninety-six-load pack, which are all effectively formulated for newborn babies. The ninety-six-load eco box comes with an easy-to-use no-drip tap, which makes it more convenient.
It has a liquid consistency, making it quite easy to rinse off from clothes. It is also an environmentally friendly product with sixty percent less plastic. Despite being mild, it is also quite efficient. Plus, it earned a seal of recommendation from Pampers. To use this product, find and remove the panel to reveal the nozzle. Pull out the nozzle, place a measuring cup right under it, and twist open the blue knob in an anticlockwise direction to dispense the liquid.
2. All Liquid Laundry Detergent Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
Does your little one suffer from skin irritation? If so, this product would be a great fit for her. The manufacturers took special care to make sure it is not made with any harsh chemicals including fragrances, which can cause some health problems for your little one. It has a liquid consistency that is mild but very effective.
Each pack contains an ergonomic bottle with eighty-two and a half ounces of product. Some users have complained about the product’s inability to wash away odors. This is because it does not contain any fragrance to mask the bit of odor not removed after washing. To avoid this problem, use this product together with hot water for easier, faster, and more effective cleaning of odor and everything else.
This is one of the products recommended by dermatologists, pediatricians, and allergists, which is a further endorsement of the product. It is a great product at an affordable price, and you do not have to spend too much to have your baby’s clothes properly cleaned.
3. Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
There are a number of things about this product that make it outstanding and fitting for this list. First of all, it is made with natural ingredients, so you are sure your baby is not exposed to risky chemicals. It is hypoallergenic, which is suitable for skin sensitivity. Also, it is ten times more concentrated, so you have to be careful how much you use because a little will go a long way.
If you are looking for something that is not too big and can be packed in a little suitcase to take with you for a weekend trip with your baby, then this is the product for you. It comes in a twenty-four-ounce bottle with an overhead nozzle for pumping out the contents. If you use it in the right amount, a full bottle of this product can take care of close to a hundred loads. Also, there are two different scents for you to choose from. You can go for the fresh linen scent or the free and clear. Both are great for babies who are not prone to allergies.
4. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
It is an established fact that a baby laundry detergent should be mild, but it should be very effective as well. Children make a lot of messes, and at times, some of those messes create tough stains. This leaves you wondering where you can find a product that is mild and effective at the same time. Seventh Generation brand laundry detergent has got you covered.
The manufacturers of this product were successful in developing a mild stain remover made mostly from natural ingredients. There are six different scent options: citrus valley, baby-fresh, free and clear, geranium blossom, vanilla, lavender, and sparkling seaside. Each bottle contains forty ounces of product, which may seem small, but it is highly concentrated and can take care of as many as fifty-three loads.
You get two bottles per package, so you do not run out of the product easily. Since the bottle is small, it is more convenient to pack in a travel suitcase when you are going on a trip with your little one.
5. Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent for Baby Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
Finally, on our list, we have Purex’s laundry detergent. A lot of parents and caregivers for babies who find it hard to deal with detergents that are completely odorless can go for this brand. It is made from safe ingredients with a mild fragrance that is less likely to trigger any allergy under normal circumstances. This product comes in an ergonomically designed bottle containing seventy-five ounces of product, which is enough to wash fifty-seven loads of laundry effectively. All you have to do is follow the instructions and measure out the right quantity for your laundry. This is particularly important because using too much laundry detergent at a time can cause clothes to bleed color.
You can use this detergent to clean delicate fabrics like baby security blanket and other baby items. Additional benefits of this product include cost-effectiveness and the ease of washing and rinsing. Aside from causing some clothes to bleed when used incorrectly, this product may also not be very suitable for a newborn baby’s respiration.
Types of Baby Laundry Detergents
There are many different types of detergent, but when it comes to laundry, there are three main different types on the market.
- Liquid: This type makes up over seventy percent of the detergent market. It usually comes in a container with a measuring cup for dosing. Just like baby shampoo, it has quite a number of advantages. It is easy to wash out of fabric and works well on greasy stains. Liquid detergents are convenient for pretreating dirty areas. Note that it may get a little bit messy using liquid laundry detergent, but you can avoid that issue to a great extent by throwing the plastic cup into the washer with the laundry after using it. This will wash it clean and prevent messy build-ups on the container. Another downside to this type of detergent is that a lot of them are not environmentally friendly.
- Powders: This type of detergent is more economical and more convenient to use than the liquid. A lot of them come in a container with a measuring spoon for proper measurement, and they are eco-friendlier than the liquid forms. Powders are generally effective, but they tend to do better when it comes to ground-in stains. On the other hand, powders are difficult to use for pretreating. It takes extra time for it to fully dissolve in water and work into the laundry. It is not as messy as liquids, but you can expect some messiness. You will have to take extra precautions in caring for the package because a lot of them are not in the least durable.
- Pods: Of all the three types of detergent, this is probably the least common of them all. Pods come in pouches and contain a high concentration of detergent in each pod. They are completely water soluble and can be used by tossing them into the washing machine. Pods are effective, convenient, and easier to use compared to the other two. On the downside, there are not a lot of baby detergents in this form. Also, they are quite attractive and colorful and can easily be mistaken for candies by kids, leaving parents and caretakers to deal with detergent poisoning.
Frequently Asked Questions
This issue of determining which detergent is right for your baby is complex, but at this point, we are sure you have the basic information to help you make the best decision for you and your baby. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions on this issue.
A lot of parents may not wish to deal with that lingering smell on baby clothes after being washed with fragrance-free detergent. On that note, experts recommend products that have organic fragrance in them as they are less harsh on the skin and will most likely not trigger any allergies. Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent for Baby is a great option when it comes to this. It has a mild fragrance and is made from organic ingredients.
The ingredients in these laundry detergents are not harmful. They were specially made for babies, who do not have the capacity to withstand harsh ingredients. These precautions are also taken with gentle mosquito repellent for babies. Some of the harmful ingredients to stay away from include dyes, chlorine bleach, enzymes, and phosphate.
Yes, it does. As a matter of fact, experts recommend using it for the whole family if you have a highly sensitive baby. These products are safe and mild, but they are also effective in removing tough stains and other forms of dirt from just about any fabric used by children or adults.
You can use these products for washing your hands because they are mild and specially formulated not to trigger skin sensitivity. Also, they can be used with just about any washing machine including HE, front loaders, and top loaders.
These products are great, but they can also cause issues when they are not used with caution. You must keep them out of reach of children to avoid ingestion. In case of accidental ingestion, please consult your doctor or an emergency medical expert immediately. If it comes in direct contact with the skin, wash it off quickly or use baby wipes for emergency situations. Also, make sure you use the right measurement for each washing cycle to avoid damaging clothing or risking any health-related issues.
Every single baby laundry detergent on this list was thoroughly researched, tested, and verified to be safe for babies, especially newborns. They were selected based on the guidelines we explained above including brands, ingredients, hypoallergenic qualities, effectiveness, budget-friendliness, and recommendations. Go ahead and pick any of them for excellent results. We also offer a wide range of baby product reviews for items like baby wipe warmers, for example.