What are the 5 Best Riding Helmets?
Whether it’s show jumping, dressage competition or just going for a nice ride, being on horseback always carries the risk of falling. There are many cases where this can cause injuries, especially to the head.
However, in order to concentrate on the pleasure of riding, while keeping your head protected, you will need a strong helmet. We have spent a lot of time researching hundreds of horseback riding helmets and narrowed our choice down to the top five.
So, all the work has been done for you. Just quickly browse through our review of each helmet below and choose the one that suits you best.
If you are simply interested in choice number one, and to save you time, feel free to move on to our top pick.
However, it’s useful to take a look at the others to see the differences and what they have to offer as well.
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Best Riding Helmets
We would like to give you a quick guide to the things to consider when considering the purchase an equestrian helmet.
The main one being size. If a riding helmet is too loose, it will not be able to protect you as much as your head in case of a fall.
Therefore, measuring and choosing the right size is a crucial step for your well-being. Be sure to try the helmet on before you ride.
In addition, design and features are important things to think about as well. They come in several models, each with its own advantages and disadvantages depending on how you will use them.
For example, if you know you are going to be riding in hot weather, it is a good idea to choose a riding helmet with a good ventilation system to keep you cool.
Top 5 Best Riding Helmets
5. Devon-Aire Equestrian Riding Helmet
- Cushion liner for comfort and increased safety
- Vertical anchor retention tech makes the helmet fit well
- Mesh vents allow for boosted airflow
The Devon-Aire riding helmet ranks fifth for a few main reasons. One of the most important is the simplicity of the design of the added cushion lining. It keeps the head comfortable and protects it from falling. It can also be easily adjusted and is available in several sizes.
- Cushion liner for added comfort and protection
- Dial system lets you easily adjust the helmet
- Boosted air circulation with ventilated mesh material
- Placement of nylon straps feel a little annoying for some
- Exterior plastic material may not be what some were expecting
With a cushion liner and adjustable feature, we feel confident in recommending the Devon-Aire for comfortable riding.
4. IRH Equi-Pro Riding Helmet
- Vents allow for better airflow
- Moisture-pulling tech takes cooling effects to new heights
- Dual-fit feature with easy-to-use dial means adjustments are easy
The Ovation Schooler riding helmet is an excellent choice for intermediate riders and beginners. Children and adults can wear it for added safety and comfort. You can rest assured that it will protect you, as it has been subjected to many safety rules. It has been approved by the SEI, CE and the European standard EN 1384 with certifications as proof. People love the way it looks when they ride it and you can have peace of mind knowing that it comes with a 3-year replacement warranty if it is too damaged.
- Great for both kids and adults
- Ultra-cooling features for air circulation
- Dual-fit feature allows for easy adjustments
- Some find the material feels too light
We liked how both adults and kids can use this one to cool themselves down with the moisture-pulling technology.
3. Troxel Spirit Riding Helmet
- Easily adjustable chin strap
- Quality assurance with SEI and ASTM passed certifications
- FlexVisor adds an aesthetic appeal and feels comfortable
Troxel’s Spirit Riding Helmet is equipped with an effective adjusting feature that makes it perfect as a kids riding helmet who are still growing. This riding helmet is available in three sizes and nine different colours. Customers trust this company because of the effort they put into the construction of their items. They get help from medical professionals to ensure the equestrian helmets can protect extremely well.
- Excellent ventilation system for cool riding
- GPS II Dial Fit makes easy size adjustments for growing
- Variety of sizes and colors to choose from
- Feels uncomfortable for adults
- Colors appear different in reality
The Troxel Spirit is the one on this list that’s best suited for kids – it also looks awesome!
2. Charles Owen Ayr8 Helmet
This Charles Owen Ayr8 Riding Helmet is the second best because of its competition ability. Its design is fantastic, and it comes with useful GRpx technology that makes the harness installation simple. It is also water and scratch resistant.
It is available in a variety of sizes and colors. We like the ventilation at the back and front for better air circulation. Microfiber suede has also been used on the sides. By choosing this product in pink, silver, gold or black, you will discover the additional benefits of the thermo-regulated paint that keeps the product even cooler.
- Comfy with the self-fitting system
- Passed various safety tests to guarantee quality to customers
- Great for a range of horse riding activities
- Sleek design suitable for competitions and casual riding
- Wide variety of sizes to fit you best
- Ventilation system to keep you cool on hot days
- Strap material isn’t as tough as some were expecting
Those looking to compete in professional tournaments can feel assured this one meets the qualifications needed; not to mention the incredible design makes you look majestic while riding.
1. Tipperary Sportage Equestrian Riding Helmet
- Reflective materials for safer riding
- Adjustable chin straps to fit all riders
- 7 sizes and 16 colors to choose from
- Shock absorbing ABS plastics for added safety
Why is the Tipperary Sportage Equestrian our best riding helmet? Well, it combines a combination of high-quality materials that ensure extreme comfort and safety. They’re also incredible to wear. This brand has been manufacturing high quality riding equipment for over 30 years and has become a reliable center for riders around the world.
- Shock absorbing tech to minimise injury severity
- Front visor for extra protection
- Awesome fit for most people
- Some find the straps are a little too long
We achieved our first place thanks to the shock absorbing characteristics and the fact that it combines safety and comfort in a sleek design.
Final Thoughts About Best Riding Helmets
Hopefully, our detailed review on the top five horse riding helmets has been helpful in helping you make the most informed decision possible. Be sure to consider all of your individual needs so that you can quickly filter out those that don’t fit.